Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Dynamic Duo

Where did my babies go? Wasn't it yesterday that my little Bubba would sit contentedly on any lap for hours at a time? Her little dimples would flash so quick and another pair of hands would snatch her up. By the time she was 4 she developed an energy that couldn't be capped. She was bouncing up and down and all over and she was a marvel to watch. She'd flash that grin and look over her shoulder as if to say, are you watching me? Of course we are. We can't take our eyes off of you! While she loves the attention, don't expect her to talk to you. Maybe she grew accustomed to us always being there watching out for her. Maybe it was always in her nature to be quiet and shy. I tried to help her spread those wings. I'd have her order her own food at the McDonalds counter. I'd make her talk to her teachers and coaches. I even let her go to China with her gymnastics team when she was 11. But what she needs to help her soar isn't a mother or a father but a sister.

Essica, from day one was demanding something from the world. Demanding to be held and then a minute later demanding to be let down. If I wanted to dress her in purple, she wanted to wear orange. When I wanted to help her ride her bike she pushed me away and then practiced every day by herself on the back patio until she got it. The first day of preschool she did not want to go. She cried and threw a fit and I had to push her through the door and run. It broke my heart but I should not of worried. Once through the door she completely forgot about me. She was in her element. She had those kids and teachers whipped into shape in no time. When I complained to her teacher one day about how they let her do whatever she wants, she told me, "Essica is one kid you will never have to worry about. She is a natural leader. She knows what she wants and how to get it. That is a skill that can't be taught." Wow, my child is only 3 and already I can relax and let her take care of herself! You know what? That teacher was right.

The two girls together make for one amazing pair. The younger pushes the older to do things that she normally would be too shy to do. Alone, Bubba, might not try new things but when Essica is standing beside her life is full of adventures. The older keeps the younger one grounded. Puts a bit of humilty and humanity in her britches as only an older sibling can do. When Essica is demanding, Bubba is the peace maker. They compliment each other so perfectly. While many siblings fight over every little thing these two have been the best of buds. All of their future life plans include the other. As long as they're together I won't worry about either one of them. Right now they are in Portland by themselves, with a car and a credit card. I should seriously be very worried but curiously I'm ok.



What all this really means is that I can save all my worrying for my boys! Those two will undoubtedly either be at home until they put me in the ground or take off for parts unknown with no forwarding address. Not sure which I prefer. :)

2 comments:

Margaret said...

These are such cute photos. It is great to have a sister you are close to. My two daughters are finally getting to that point. It took them a LONG time.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful "ode" to your daughters! I wish my two rascals could be that close...