Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wisconsin anyone?

I'm sure WI is a lovely place to live but it's not much to visit. Not that we had much time to see anything anyway. Y Nationals turned out a lot different than I expected. Bubba and I went with our cheerleading pom poms but she ended up wearing a leotard instead. Last Monday before we left she tried out a beam routine, partially done on her left, non dominant leg. She said it went ok and she might just try competing. I told her I'd try really hard not to laugh. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing when it comes to emergencies and competing. At the open workout on Wed she actually did all her skills on her good leg! (See photo to the right. Check out coach's face. This is the moment we knew she'd be competing) It turned out to be a good thing that her coach didn't scratch her from the meet. She pulled off some very nice routines with no falls! Team mate, Chels, has had pnemonia for the last month and she also wasn't expecting to compete but she gave it a whirl on bars and beam and looked exactly like she always does, minus the coughing. :) Muscle memory is amazing too. Our little team could not compete for a team award without those necessary All Around scores but all the girls did great on the routines they did. Bubba ended up qualifying for beam finals (placed 8th), Chels for bar and beam, Alison, bars, beam and floor and Mia for all 4 events! We're very sad that this was the last Y Nationals for Alison and family. She had an amazing meet with two 9.7s! Beam and Floor. She ended up winning beam, came in 2nd AA, 2nd on bars and 3rd on floor. Congratulations Al. We're so proud of you.

So instead of sight seeing we went meet seeing. Day one, 6 hours of gym; day two, 8 hours of gym; day 3, another 8 hours of gym and awards! Even with our handy dandy seat cushion, my bum was feeling the burn. Thank God, this season is over. I'm looking forward to watching my next gymnastics meet from the comfort of my living room couch in Aug. :) We did see Lake Michigan for a few minutes one evening on our way back to the hotel. It's very pretty.

Next year we go to Philadelphia. Even though we've been to PA before I'm excited we're going to Philly this time. We may make it a family trip and head up to New York. This will be Katie's last gymnastics trip so we might as well do it up right. Of course gas prices might just see us staying home instead. I'm hoping for a very light meet season to help us afford Nationals. Yeah, right!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I'm glad we got to see a few things outside the gym walls. Were we REALLY there that many hours? No wonder my butt hurt for days. It was well worth it to spend time with you people; you're the best! Have a Yuengling for me while you're in PA next summer, OK?