Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

We all have them. They're not usually productive, they have no meaning to anyone but us and they basically kill an hour or two of our time after which we have feelings of guilt. You know what I'm talking about right? I have a few and I'm willing to share one but I'd like to hear what yours are too.

I actually thought I was over this one as I haven't done this in quite a while. But this morning I was doing some internet research for an online friend who wanted some modern color schemes (this is all your fault Jenn!) when these simple words caught my eye and the next thing I knew I was in deep.

House Plans
(The words literally jumped out at me just like that!)

Back when I was much younger and still had dreams of grandeur, I used to go to the library and check out house plan books and then photo copy the ones I liked. Of course I was not in the least bit practical. The bigger the better. I even used to create my own floor plans or modify the ones I liked to fit my tastes. Well, it seems that not much has changed. I still gravitate towards the completely outrageous. But hey, if you're going to have a guilty pleasure then you might as well go all out. So the one that turned on my fantasy switch is called the Chateau Beaujolais. (Where's a French teacher when you need one?) Of course the real me would never pick a house like this but my fantasy alter ego, Isabelle, who by the way is married to Jean-Claude Van Damme (and not just because of his cool French name.) would have a house like this. There would be live in servants of a chef, butler and at least one maid. Because I can't be expected to *gasp* clean or cook or answer my own door or phone! The pool would certainly need a cute Italian pool boy too. The kids would go to private schools were they would rub elbows with royalty and rich republicans. Ok, now I've gone too far!

The real me would probably go for the Kensington House. (sounds way more pretentious than it is) I truly am practical with just a hint of romanticism. This house is not too large, because frankly house keeping is for losers (this part of the above mentioned fantasy is true.) plus having a smaller house is a great excuse to not have family come stay with you. The layout is very good, though let's be honest, how many people really use their dining room? I might just turn that into a library because personally libraries are the most perfect place on earth. It has the laundry and bathroom right next to the garage. A woman must of designed this house. That is the smartest thing I ever saw. It also has a bedroom right there that I can decorate with trees and fire hydrants for Mr Rainy when he gets sent to the dog house. But on the more romantic side, It has round rooms! That den would so be mine. A retreat, an oasis with sound proof walls. There is nothing louder than 4 teenagers, 3 of whom are musical and the 4th a video game fanatic. And did I forget to mention the dog? Of course it's not one of those big ole lovable dogs that just lay quietly at your feet. No, in our practical search for the perfect dog we went for small to match our real petite chateau. We honestly thought we could teach Gemma proper barking etiquette. Bark for intruders, don't bark for anything else. Go ahead and laugh. On to the master suite. Yes, I can say suite because even this humble abode has a beautiful master bath with a spa tub that looks out over the back yard. (Hopefully with some kind of magical glass that lets you see out but not in!) The one problem I can already envision is: Which child gets that round bedroom? I think for the sake of family harmony we'll just stay right where we are but I reserve the right to keep dreaming of the perfect house.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow-I've already learned something new about you! We spent the first 10 years of our marriage in a 900 square foot house(with TWO kids) and one bathroom. So, where we live now, although admittedly modest compared to Le Chateau, seems very roomy to me.And the French teacher is right here when you need her!

Margaret said...

I am Margaret's friend — we've known each other since junior high. I'm so excited that she encouraged you to blog! Your design is beautiful! (Love the colors). My husband and I are actually working on house plans for our retirement home, and it really is a lot of fun (although scary, because the cost is "reality"). I agree that a dining room is useless. We're aiming for the "great room" combo of living, eating, kitchen space. With the laundry room near the master bedroom — since the bulk of laundry resides there! It'll be exciting to see how it eventually turns out — hopefully we'll have it built in about 6 or 7 years. Welcome to bloggersville. I've been doing this for over four years now and I can't imagine it not being a part of my life.

Tonya (at Kingfisher Cove) - http://agategal.typepad.com/kingfisher_cove/