Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Typical Saturday

I tip my hat to single mothers..... errr, parents everywhere. I don't know how they manage. I am truly blessed to have a great guy that so far I haven't felt the need to off load. It's a good thing too! Saturday was an example of why being a single parent would suck. (I hate that word. But I sure love using it.)

My bowler, Essica, qualified for the season ending NW Invitational in the JBT. She did this by winning one tournament back in October. She also won $205 in scholarship and a pretty plaque with her name on it. (I love bowling.) So she and I left the house about 9 am Saturday to head off to this tournament up in Burien. She bowled 7 games across 14 lanes. It was a tough shot and everyone was struggling. She started off rough but then steadily rose to the 4th place position in the finals. She sat out for the first 2 rounds of finals and then bowled a 208 and a 185 against her 1st opponent, beating him by a huge margin. That brought her within one game of the final round. She had to win one more game and she would be in the top 2 bowl off. The top finisher receives a prize of a $1,000 scholarship. Unfortunately she lost her strike shot and ended up with too many splits to recover. She finished in 4th place, earning her $155 in scholarship money and another cool JBT plaque. She did finish the season with enough point to qualify her to the JBT Touring Players' Championship held in Las Vegas in July. Woot! (Do they realize how much it cost to fly to Vegas these days?) I got back to my house that night around 6:15.

Bubba, my gymnast and chorister, had a choir contest that she also had to work since her school was hosting. I wish I could of heard them sing and seen Bubba hobbling up the risers in her cast. With the cast on she cannot drive so Mr Rainy dropped her off at 9 am so she could check choirs into the contest then he went back and picked her up so she could come home and get ready to sing. She was texting me all morning to get bowling scores. I think she must of been bored. Dare I hope that she really cared how her sister was doing? I knew when the texting stopped that she must be back at the school singing. I don't know if Mr. Rainy stayed and watched or just dropped her off and then returned to pick her up yet again.

Ricky, my violist, also had contest this day. (Why don't schools talk to each other and plan better?) He also had to be at school by 9 am, luckily the schools are not far apart. Another plus was that they were taking a bus to the school they would be performing at. He would return to his school around 11:45 am and Mr. Rainy just needed to pick him up.

Whew! Can you imagine what one more thing thrown in to our day would of done? Wait, there's more. Originally, before Bubba broke her foot she was preparing for a gymnastics competition this weekend in Missouri. Had she qualified for that she would not of done her contest but that wouldn't of stopped the others from doing their thing. I guess it all worked out in the end but Bubba sure was sad when her friends left for St. Louis without her.

Thankfully our oldest drives himself to work so we don't have to worry about shuttling him around. I even came home to the lawn mowed and some gardening done. Not sure who managed that but I am grateful.

As a reward for being the awesome parents we are, Mr Rainy and I finished out the day by attending our year end bowling banquet where we ate, drank and earned some money! (This really means we collected back some of the money we previously paid into the league.) It was a good finish to our crazy busy typical Saturday.

Sunday? Nothing special. We had breakfast, gave Nodnarb his birthday presents, did a little plant and grocery shopping, went bowling with the girls, came home and had dinner and then had some birthday cake. Cards and presents for Mom you ask? What? It was Mother's day? Who knew?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Makes my head spin! I was a single mom for a number of years, but I only had one kid so it was very do-able. I remember feeling very thankful that was the case!

I remember those contests...used to play in many of them throughout jr. high and high school (clarinet/sax). High anxiety!

Margaret said...

Sandi--you are Super Woman. There is no other explanation. You are amazing at all you do at gym and with bowling. Life is crazy with two kids; I can't imagine four. Way to go, Mom!(and Dad M.) We missed you very much in MO. Wah.