Thursday, May 8, 2008

Passions

Since I've already posted about guilty pleasures I figured the next logical step would be to talk about some things that make life good for me.

Books. I read every day. I know what you're thinking. Duh, everyone reads something everyday. I mean I READ every day. I have a book with me all the time and always before I go to bed. If I don't have a book and the library is closed then I go to the store and buy one. I have it bad, bad, bad. I'm not a real intellectual reader, I read for fun. Sometimes I read deep books but mostly I read romance. I like historical and fantasy the most. If I like a movie a lot sometimes I read the book to get more out of it. It's better to do it that way then to read the book and then watch the movie. It's like watching the Harry Potter movies. They are great but if you've read the books then the movies are just not even close to good enough.

Computers. Our family is quite nerdy. We all have our own computer. The girls actually share but we also have a family laptop and Nodnarb has a desk top and his own laptop so we have 6 people and 7 computers. I use my computer for a variety of different things. Obviously the internet but I'm also somewhat crafty and I like to create things. Over the years I've done newsletters, programs, signs, posters, yearbooks, scrapbook pages, websites, movies and slide shows. I doubt there is anything I haven't tried. I also like message boards. I've created many good friendships over the years and even met some of these friends in real life.

Gymnastics. Long before my oldest daughter took her first class I was a huge gymnastics fan. I did some recreational and school gymnastics but I've always just loved watching it. I still do. I've gone to big meets both locally and around the country. Last April I flew to Salt Lake City to watch the NCAA Gymnastics Championships. If I could I would go to Philly in June for the Olympic Trials. Somethings must wait. Maybe when my kids are all off on their own I will travel with friends to get my gymnastics fix. For now I enjoy watching and traveling with my daughter Bubba to all her competitions. The next one coming up is in Sheboygan, WI in June. Unfortunately she has a broken foot right now and will probably sit on the sidelines and cheer for her team mates.

Bowling. While I've always enjoyed bowling for fun and even did a year in the junior league when I was a kid, it wasn't until my youngest daughter, Essica started that Saturday morning league about 5 years ago that my husband and I decided we needed something fun for us too. So we joined a summer league. Now, we're card carrying members complete with rolling ball bags that hold multiple balls, shoes, towels and various essential items that no serious bowler can be without. Since Essica is also big into bowling we spend a lot of time in bowling alleys and traveling around to tournaments. Between gymnastics and bowling it's rare that we are actually home on the weekends.

Those 4 things pretty much sum up my life. Take one of them away and I'd be lost. Add anything else and I'd go crazy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally relate to "having it bad" when it comes to reading. I never go a day without a book — and since Christmas, I've never gone a day without my Kindle! God I LOVE that thing! It's my appendage. Like Margaret, I enjoy mysteries & thrillers but I also love just about anything that is well-written. I've been a reader since I can remember. And since you like the bulletin boards, I'll betcha you'd get a kick out of Twitter! It's my "new" addiction. Like I need that.

I was cleaning out my "spam" email in my Yahoo account and the instant I hit the delete key I'm pretty sure I saw an email from you. If so, I deleted it, yikes! Maybe you could resend and I'll make a point to move it to my non-spam folder!

Margaret said...

You, me and Tonya--we are addicted to books. There have been many times when I've made a desperation trip to the grocery store to buy a paperback. I get nervous if I don't have anything to read. (yes, I know that's my natural state) I'll travel to gymnastics with you if you want; that would be fun. I can't wait to spend a week with you in Sheboygan!